Wednesday, August 08, 2007

I hate commercials

But I love this one. It has a catchy little ditty, but that's not the reason I like it. It was first put out sometime around Labor Day last year. That's when I went to my ten year highschool reunion back in West by god.

Alot happened that weekend. Most of it was psychological. I went into that weekend kind of down about my life. I was directionless, my rudder askew. I knew I didn't want to be an engineer, but not much more than that.

I came away from it changed. I was emboldened, with a new confidence and sense of urgency (nothing like going to Appalachia to infuse oneself with confidence, I highly recommend it).

I don't credit the commercial with anything other than being around when I had some sort of epiphany. I credit my good friends, and casual friends, who all made that weekend so much fun.

Nothing fancy, just kickin' back at JB's pool, smokin' and drinkin' for a few days. Me and RCR getting the cops called to the swankiest hotel in town is a classic. One night we hit up the Japanese place and went to the other bar. God, what a crappy town, but it was so much fun.

Anyway, that commercial is back in rotation and it made me think of a year ago. If I knew then that by now I'd be back in school and seriously considering going to med school, I'd never believe it. The good news is I haven't lost whatever that feeling was.


I'd also never believe how many nice available smart women there are in college. They outnumber the men, and there aren't very many "men" there anyway, if you know what I mean. This was by far the best thing to ever happen to me.


Well, that and plastic liquor bottles.

4 Comments:

At 8/8/07 23:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Japanese place?

I've had several epiphanies over the past year. If only they paid the mortgage. I do feel like I'm getting closer to what I should be doing. Your twenties are a lifetime.

 
At 9/8/07 08:47, Blogger RWBB said...

There's some Japanese steak house by the K-Mart, near the Taco Bell (I love how there's only one of each). They actually serve sushi, but I refuse to eat raw fish in West Virginia. JB had some and said it was good.

I agree with the growing up for real in your 20s thing.

 
At 9/8/07 21:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

30 is the new 20. At least that is what I am banking on.

 
At 21/8/07 19:20, Blogger Dave said...

fuck, dude, if we take care of ourselves, we get 65 + good years. That means that all this living we've done so far is probably less than half your life. There's plenty of time still for fucking around and figuring out what you want to do decade by decade.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home