Wednesday, March 07, 2007

This is our home

Yeah, I pretty much can't resist posting things about Carl Sagan, who might be the finest human being to ever put word to paper. This worksafe video could be slightly uncomfortable for religious people, though the overall point is that we ought to be helping ourselves better than we are. Quite touching, IMO.


If you prefer another philosophy, how about wisdom from Calvin's Dad?

Q. Why does the sky turn red as the sun sets?
A. That's all the oxygen in the atmosphere catching fire.
Q. Where does the sun go when it sets?
A. The sun sets in the west. In Arizona actually, near Flagstaff. That's why the rocks there are so red.
Q. Don't the people get burned up?
A. No, the sun goes out as it sets. That's why it's dark at night.
Q. Doesn't the sun crush the whole state as it lands?
A. Ha ha, of course not. Hold a quarter up. See, the sun's just about the same size.
Q. I thought I read that the sun was really big.
A. You can't believe everything you read, I'm afraid.

2 Comments:

At 8/3/07 12:12, Blogger Frannie Farmer said...

I like Calvin's dad ... he is one smart cookie .. gonna check out the video later .. I think I can handle it!

 
At 8/3/07 13:00, Blogger RWBB said...

There hasn't been a point in reading the comics since Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side left.

The video isn't offensive or anything, but I did want my pious readers to be forewarned. I don't want to alienate my two most prolific commenters! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home