Monday, February 25, 2008

I am a old

Exhibit number 742.


I spent the weekend with undergrads on an island studying marine life. Check out my facebook for the pics. Once again I'm reminded of my age.


I met someone named Adrian. I said, "Yo Adrian!" Crickets. "Um... Rocky? Anyone see Rocky?" I asked. "Is that the movie with the Russian guy?" was the response.


A car was coming. "Car!" I yelled, then "Game on!" Crickets.


They all got a big laugh out of the VHS player in the lounge. "Heh... where's the 8-track player?" I said. A few polite titters. No one knew what I meant. I might as well have referenced a wax cylinder.


The van we loaded our crap into was parked near the water. It's not a river, but still... a "Van! Down by the river!" No one got it. I'm not the only one who remembers Bennett Brower, am I? I might as well have accused someone of engaging in flimflam or tomfoolery.


The good news is I can recycle all my Simpsons quotes, because no one knows them but me. By and by. Sometime soon I'm going to blow their minds with Sailing the Seas of Cheese.


Overall though, it's alot of fun. They're witty funny kids, and it's a pleasure to hang out with them. If I could keep my mouth shut, they wouldn't know how old I am. I can't complain when my main sources of awkwardness are anachronistic jokes and gently letting the lonely 19 year old girl know that I'm ten years her senior.

If it goes anywhere, I'll post about it. I'm letting her digest the information for now. An anonymous blog is priceless.

4 Comments:

At 25/2/08 13:18, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're thinking of Matt Foley. Bennett Brower was the guy who didn't "wash the area between his leg and crotch."

 
At 25/2/08 15:48, Blogger RWBB said...

LOL! That's right. Heh!

 
At 27/2/08 12:32, Blogger Dave said...

seriously facebook? damn, I'm getting old.

 
At 3/3/08 14:16, Blogger RWBB said...

Yes. Yes you are. Older than you realize.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home