Monday, September 24, 2007

1996 Jon Stewart on Iraq

Bonus Canada jokes included (sound).



Vegas was awesome. It's simultaneously the greatest and most evil place in the world. I'll post about it soon.



Unrelated, here are 66 Simpsons movie references next to the movie stills they came from.



On a serious note, Ahmadinejad got his ass handed to him by Lee Bollinger, the President of Columbia University. This caught my eye because Mr. Bollinger was the President at Michigan while I was there. I'd like to see some apologies from the mostly righters who lambasted Columbia for hosting Ahmadinejad.

“Today I feel all the weight of the modern civilized world yearning to express the revulsion at what you stand for"

"Frankly and in all candor, Mr. President, I doubt that you will have the intellectual courage to answer these questions. But your avoiding them will have meaning for us. I do expect you to exhibit the fanatical mind-set that characterizes what you say and do."

"Mr. President, you exhibit all the signs of a petty and cruel dictator."

“To those who believe that this event should never have happened, that it is inappropriate for the university to conduct such an event, I want to say that I understand your perspective and respect it as reasonable.” He said, “It is an experiment, as all life is an experiment.” He added, “This is the right thing to do and indeed, it is required by the existing norms of free speech, of Columbia University” and of academic institutions.

Here's one who apologized anyway.

3 Comments:

At 26/9/07 16:50, Blogger Dave said...

good mp3 post.

I still don't think I understand all the whining about letting the iranian president (who's name I can't spell) speak, or place a wreath or whatever. "Oh no! he'll use it for propaganda!" -- And he won't use you not letting him speak or post a wreath for propaganda? If he's a fucking nutjob (and it appears he is) let us hear it from the horses mouth.

 
At 28/9/07 15:05, Blogger RWBB said...

I actually think this worked out the best way. He 'got served' at Columbia, which is appropriate, but he was refused the opportunity to gloat over 9/11. I don't buy his "respect" line on that.

 
At 30/9/07 18:28, Blogger Dave said...

I don't think he had any 'respect' to pay either, but I'm also not convinced when any of our own politicians go to disaster areas to pay respects.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home