Monday, December 11, 2006

You is welcome

I got a note inside an envelope attached to my paper this morning. I get the Wall Street Journal, for no apparent reason. It just started showing up for free.

Anyway, Jose, the deliveryman, left me a poorly translated Christmas wish. Basically it says Merry Christmas, and "thanks for your tolerate".

This is all fine and good, but I'm wondering what I should do with the addressed envelope the note came in. Am I supposed to tip him for Christmas? I never ordered this paper you know, and I sure don't pay for it, so am I obligated to tip the delivery guy?

I don't think so, but I probably will anyway. Dang conscience.


UPDATE: Jose got ten bucks. That seems like a good medium since I like to give this time of year, but I didn't order the paper. Also, you've got to feel for the guy who gets a paper to your door by 5am every morning.

4 Comments:

At 11/12/06 09:51, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, most people tip those who provide them a consistent service: newspaper carrier, trash carrier, recycle carrier, etc.

Can't tip the mail carrier, but they do accept gifts under $20, such as the gourmet food I leave my guy with the mail a few days before Christmas.

Of course, tipping is always optional, and always in good taste.

 
At 11/12/06 13:19, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but a service isn't really a service if it's unsolicited. I would use the envelope to send him a note that says you don't subscribe to the paper, or the antiquated notion of killing trees to convey information.

 
At 11/12/06 20:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nobody tips the garbage man or the recycling man, don't be ridiculous. Their tip is the best choice of whatever you threw out.

 
At 12/12/06 09:37, Blogger Frannie Farmer said...

You could tip him, leave him a 5th or even some cookies.
In our area we do tip the paper person, the mail carrier and especially the garbage guys (the 5ths!) - come on they haul away your sh*t.
Like you said though, you didn't order it ... although I am sure your conscience will prevail.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home