Friday, December 08, 2006

Modest progress

As thrilled as I am to see the media expressing sadness over a tragedy befalling non-blonde blue-eyed jailbait, the coverage of Mr. Kim's death seems over the top.

It's a horrible tragedy sure, but why is he national news? What makes his death so compelling as compared to all the other people who died last week? I suppose if you're in the business of selling advertising, it's a great story.

That said, my thoughts are with the surviving members of his family and I wish them the best. RIP, Mr. Kim.

Remember kids, if you get lost in the wilderness, stay put.


And if you're wondering why I'm up at this hour, it has something to do with the 8 inch glorified tampon jammed up my nose.

3 Comments:

At 8/12/06 06:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't catch CNN much anymore, so I actually wasn't even aware of this until reading it here. Local and regional news networks in WV/OH have not covered it.

I was determined to have a good Friday today, until reading that and finding myself sobbing into my morning coffee.

Thanks TSS!
corthar

-and, I think the reason his death is receiving more coverage is because of the "superhuman" and "heroic" nature of the tale. In television, the is called a "special interest" story.

 
At 8/12/06 10:46, Anonymous Anonymous said...

also, Kim is sorta famous. I've watched some of his TV reviews on cnet and through Tivo. I imagine the sorta famous is why it's news and they ignore the fact that he's not a white nubile female teenager.

 
At 8/12/06 15:17, Blogger RWBB said...

Sorry Cort! Jeez, I gotta watch out where I point this thing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home