Friday, November 24, 2006

Wind power

Anyone know if this program is legit? Seems like there's no way to know if they really convert that much of the grid over to wind.

I haven't chosen the charity I'm going to give to this year yet, and converting to wind power sounds like a great idea to me, so I'd like this to be true. I guess if Whole Foods is behind it, they probably did their research (has Whole Foods been too successful yet, or are they still hep?).

I'm going to give to more than one place this year. Any ideas? There's always the Salvation Army and other organizations like that, but they have a pretty healthy budget in a place like Seattle. The more obscure and localized the better, aside from this wind energy thing.

Maybe I'll give to the church down the street. They feed the homeless every week and I'll bet they could use a mysterious large donation from an anonymous infidel.

UPDATE:
For 5 bucks a month, it's worth it. I am now "part of the solution". Yay for me, and more importantly, yay for clean energy and foreign oil independence.

I still get the feeling this is really just a donation to wind power companies. I mean, do they turn turbines off delaying power onto the grid until they receive enough credits to turn one on? I seriously doubt it. But I'll make this donation for the time being.

7 Comments:

At 26/11/06 07:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of docter's without borders and heifer, neither of which is localized.

I'm not a big fan of the salvation army buckets, but only because they treat those just like they do offering plates in their churches, so they use some of that money in regular church budget stuff. I don't think it's cool not to make it clear that they may use that money to pay their pastor or their electricity.

The United Way in Seattle is a good place to donate for localized distribution, or, look at the organizations they fund and donate directly to them.

 
At 26/11/06 07:59, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like a subsidy program. The wind power guys are making the energy anyway, but just like with farmers, they may not be making enough money on wind power alone, since fossil fuel energy is so cheap. The thing I'd want more details on is how whole foods gets the money to the producers.

 
At 27/11/06 09:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These Wind Power Cards are a great product. They take advantage of a system of renewable energy credits that have been used by lots of companies over the last decade. It's the same way utilities sell green power to their customers. These cards are a market-driven solution to help support renewable energy!

 
At 27/11/06 16:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And that ringing endorsement from anonymous is what makes it sound like a scam.

You don't get the green energy, and some power company somewhere does get the money, and it seems like there's a pretty good chance they're the same company that's getting money from your power bill anyway.

It's similar to buying C02 credits, except in that case, I think someone somewhere is actually planting trees, but that'd still be worth looking into.

 
At 27/11/06 16:59, Blogger RWBB said...

Yeah, I'm with you Garlic. This has scam smell all over it. But hey, you get a fridge magnet and a bumper sticker, so...

 
At 27/11/06 20:46, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, then it's better than what I got out of my extended warranty, so you've beat me this time TSS!

 
At 28/11/06 12:21, Blogger RWBB said...

Mwuhahaha!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home