Friday, November 24, 2006

Furnace challenge

Last year I made it all winter only turning the heat on twice. This year I'm going for the entire season. I haven't touched the thermostat yet.

The main exception is if I have a girl over. Girls are always cold, and I certainly want to encourage warmth and comfort in those circumstances. But otherwise it's a flannel and some warm pants, and cooking something in the oven never hurts.

I can do it. The winter is laughingly mild here compared to Chicago and Michigan. For perspective, it's fun to read what I wrote last spring after my first winter here.

In short, yeah, the overcast raininess gets old, but it's better than relentless snowstorms. And as an aside, it baffles me how people from Seattle are so clueless as to how to drive in the rain. You'd think they'd have had plenty of practice, but I guess there's no curing False Belief in SUV Invincibility Disorder.

1 Comments:

At 24/11/06 17:39, Blogger Frannie Farmer said...

As long as you still allow yourself a hot shower in the morning, I am sure you can make it. There is something about the dampness (is that a word?) in Seattle that just chills you to the bone. It is somehow quite different than the Chicago chill.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home