Monday, May 22, 2006

A Hospitalization Retrospective

Friday afternoon, completely out of the blue, I got severe cramping in my stomach. I had just eaten some beef for the first time in over a month, and I thought that was it. Nope. I wish.

I may as well tell you up front, since everyone has to know what it was before I get to any other part of the story: I have a busted large intestine. It was leaking bacteria and such throughout my innards. My Dad and his brother had the exact same thing, so it runs in the family.

I didn't get the diagnosis until Saturday afternoon, after a CT (aka CAT) scan. This was not the best of news to be getting. The cute doctor's assistant told me this usually means surgery (maybe that's why they sent her to tell me).

They kept asking me to rate the pain on a 1 to 10 scale and I kept saying 5 because I didn't have any idea where to rate it. It was pretty bad, I kept saying. "Do you want some pain medication?" the cute doctor lady asked. My ears perked up. "Sure!" I said, hopefully not too enthusiastically.

The pain was pretty bad, but it wasn't so bad I couldn't be my curious chatty self. I kept pestering the ER nurse with questions until the pain drugs came. Time between injection of the drugs and my head hitting the pillow: 2.3 seconds.

Having pain drugs injected into my bloodstream is a new experience for me. I don't recommend shooting up drugs to anyone, but I have to admit, it was pretty cool. It was a feeling of warmness coursing through my body, followed by a headrush, and then numbness. It was like a bear hug from God -- a sweet merciful loving God. I didn't see any ship smoke on the horizon, but at least my stomach didn't matter much anymore.

At some point the surgeon came in to introduce himself. I noticed he has the same first name as me. That's about all I remember from that encounter, though I do recall being vaguely upset that the surgeon felt he ought to introduce himself.

They put me up in a room upstairs and this wonderful, awesome nurse kept giving me more pain killers. If we hadn't just discussed my bowel movements at length, I would have proposed right on the spot. If you're out there baby, I miss you. Let's meet up (bring more painkillers).

In the end I didn't go under the knife. They said my body was healing it over and fighting off the infection on its own. I'm home now. I have a followup appointment with the surgeon this week though. From what they say, it probably means surgery at some point in my life. Basically I have to never get constipated ever again. Anyone want some yogurt? I won't be needing it.

And yeah, this means I missed my Diabetes Walk and the date on Sunday. Poor girl probably thinks I'm insane. What girl wants to go out with a guy with a busted large intestine? "Sorry for missing the date babe, but my shitter was full." How do I recover from that? Well, I'll give it a try anyway.

And just for fun, here are a few observations from my hospital stay:

* The ER's mode of thinking is a little more quick and dirty than the people in other departments. I don't mean to imply they're unclean, I just mean they're all about getting the job done now. The nurses upstairs clucked at the IV the ER guy gave me. An IV in the crook of your elbow is the easiest to get in, but it causes pain and can fall out. They prefer the top of the hand.

* If there's one gorgeous woman on staff in any department you're in, she'll be the one who comes in to discuss your bowel movements with you. She'll then ask if you have pain in your penis. This happened to me in two out of two departments.

* The CT scanner thing is a marvelous piece of technology. It's a high level scan they do, before they decide if they need to do more extensive scans, like ultrasound. In my case that was all they needed. Before you go in they inject you with dye. It's warmed up for some reason, probably to make the dye work better. The nurse told me I would feel really warm and get a sensation like I peed my pants, but that it was normal. I didn't feel like I peed, but that was a very strange sensation. Usually injections feel cold. This felt sort of like the pain medication, but the heat was more intense and there was no buzz.

* Nurses do the real work.

* Be nice to your nurses. They have the power to give you pain medication, and they're the ones holding the needle. They know where the extra jello is after the kitchen is closed. Your goal should be to make your nurses your best friends. This is your surest ticket to smooth sailing.

* Some nurses are nicer than others. Some of them will stagger your pain medication out so you get 1 milligram every 2 hours instead of 2 mgs every 4 hours (thus allowing you to keep a rolling buzz). And some won't. Best to find out which kind of nurse you have right off the bat. Guess which kind the potential Mrs. Scribe is?

* If you're a difficult patient, you don't get the best care. If you need help getting in/out of bed, don't ask to get back in bed 5 minutes after getting out. "GUESS who wants back in bed?" I heard two nurses discussing just outside my room. Don't be that person.

* Apparently speaking English is not a requirement to become a doctor or a nurse. This is my only complaint about a couple of the nurses. If you can't conjugate verbs, you can't tell me how to take the medication. Don't bother miming me the directions to the pharmacy, I'm just going to ask the next English speaking person I come across.

* Don't bitch about the IV being put in. Once that's in, you're saved from, according to my calculations, 40 bajillion other injections. If being friends with the nurses is your ticket to smooth sailing, then the IV is the bump up to first class.

* Not to knock on doctors, but they seem to just come around and approve what the head nurse has surmised for them. Making friends with the doctor is a great idea, but you won't see them more than 5 minutes in a 24 hour period. Still, best to use that 5 minutes. Save up all your questions and ask him/her. It's a good idea to research your symptoms on the internet before you go in (I always do this). Doctors are naturally inquisitive people and will listen with an open mind to your ideas, as long as you catch them in that brief window.

* The probability of the doctor coming in is inversely proportional to the amount of time since your last pain medication injection.

* Some doctors have attitude problems. You can just tell they can't believe they're wasting their time talking to you. The small minority who act this way (only 1 in my recent experience), hide it well and are cordial, but they're curt and try to walk out before you have a chance to say anything. Don't be afraid to ask them questions anyway. It's your health, and for all you know, he/she had the lowest passing grade in medical school. If they're just "too important" to stick around talking to you, sometimes going through his/her assistant is the path of least resistance.

* Whoever invented the automatic shutoff arm for the icemaker was a genius.

* If you're going to the ER for yourself, by yourself, take a backpack with some clothes, bathroom items, and books/mags. I was saved by my books. My brother is one town over and I have friends who would have gone to my apt to get things for me, but it's better to just have what you want with you.

* I'm used to my pain medication coming in whiskey form, so these 500mg vicodins are going to be a new experience for me. Rumor has it, "they work".


UPDATE: Uh, yeah. They work.

10 Comments:

At 22/5/06 22:25, Blogger RWBB said...

No bad talk about the vicodim. The vicosin is my friend. Going to bed now.

 
At 22/5/06 22:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy retrospecticus batman, that's crazy. Glad you are ok.

If you need another reason not to eat ground beef, the gf's great aunt was recently diagnosed with mad cow disease. You would think it would be getting some media coverage but it hasn't yet. She lives in Bellvue.

As for doctors, you're right, the few that suck do a great job taking up the slack. I almost got LASIK a few years ago, but they guy I saw was such an arrogant prick, I decided not to do it.

 
At 23/5/06 06:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you don't overdo the vicodin, you probably won't have much of a rebound.

Glad to here you're ok.

on the pain charts I saw, they had descriptions of how bad the pain was and cartoon faces of what the pain looked like.

Both times I've been to the hospital in the last year, the cute doctor is the one responsible for sticking her hand up my butt. not a proud moment. j

 
At 23/5/06 06:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

also --

IV's are better than getting shots certainly. But being pumped full of saline solution when it's too hard to get out of bed means using the bedpan. And that's not fun.

 
At 23/5/06 12:55, Blogger RWBB said...

That's funny. They kept trying to hand me the jug to pee in and I kept just getting up and going to the actual bathroom. They kind of made a fuss about it at first, until I made it clear that I was NOT peeing into a jug that I was just going to leave next to me for hours on end.

I guess it's better to be hydrated and pee from the bed than to be dehydrated, dignity intact.

 
At 23/5/06 13:14, Blogger RWBB said...

They had those cartoon faces in my hospital too. That was when I realized my pain was peaking at around 8, because of the face I would make for a second or two. Eh, I've still had worse pain, but not by much.

I'm not so sure about the Vicodin. Not too happy with the results so far. I took some last night it gave me bad dreams. I get the same type of very lucid, very disturbing dreams whenever I take any sleep inducing chemical (not counting blessed alcohol). Like Tylenol PM or something. I'm just way more lucid than I want to be in those dreams.

JB - are you sure about the MadCow thing? The press would be all over that if it were true.

 
At 23/5/06 14:19, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jebus. I'm glad your okay. This just feeds into my paranoia that there must be something internally wrong with me. I have no symptoms of anything, but I treat my body like shit and I never get sick. Like all this good health is going come back to me in a big flaming ball of karmic retribution - I suspect some kind of cancer.

.

 
At 23/5/06 16:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give it a few days--they are still running tests but are 99% sure that's what it is.

 
At 23/5/06 17:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking about this today, and I guess this means that you're doctor prescribed a diet of buffalo wings and beer, and no bran muffins.

Liz says she's glad you're not dead.

 
At 24/5/06 15:32, Blogger RWBB said...

RCR - You have a second chance to change your habits now and live a healthy life. I suggest you take it. You don't want to be laid up in the hospital with a broken shitter like me.

Garlic - Yeah, that and plenty of White Castles. Too bad they don't have those here. Tell Liz I'm glad she's not dead either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home