Monday, April 17, 2006

My actual thoughts on marriage

I put this into someone's comments who I don't know (found them through RCR) and thought I would put them up here. Since I already wrote it out, I may as well counteract my previous immature rant on marriage, which was mostly just for fun. I suppose it makes sense that as we approach the big 3-0 we're all thinking about marriage a little bit.


Here's what I said (spelling corrected):
-----------------------

I think marriage makes sense if you want to have kids. Otherwise, I would say no. Because as you said, everyone grows and changes. Married couples without kids stay together on occassion, but it's rare. But sharing children is *usually* the extra oomph that keeps couples together for the long haul.

I'd say if your relationship is "good" or "normal" (relative terms, I know) and then you get married, and then you have kids, as long as each person is making an honest effort to make it work, you have a greater than 50% chance of not getting divorced.

It makes sense that sharing a deep love for the same little people who need you would bring people together and cement bonds permanently. When the inevitable changes happen, that love for the kids by both parents will remain, and it's enough to carry most marriages through (I think, I hope). Without that, I'm afraid, people always change and won't necessarily stop loving each other, but will stop wanting to be married.

Oh, and I think anyone who gets married before 30 is just being reckless, given age expectations these days. You have no IDEA who that person is going to be in ten years, and only a reasonable idea of yourself. I think the right age for men is something around 32-36ish. Women I can't speak for, but I'm guessing it's around 28-32 or so (women always want older guys and seem to mature faster -- those doodyheads).

And if I could say something here to the women for a sec. Ladies, think twice before you marry the guy who you sort of get along with, but is making lots of money. I know, it's a cliche. But two women who are extremely close to my heart married for social status and money, and it ended in firey divorce both times. I could be wrong, but I think women get married for the wrong reasons more often than men do.

Run the waiter test. How do they treat waiters and other people who are underlings? You can learn alot about a person that way.

And while I'm at it, please don't cut your hair short. Is that a test to see if your man will still love you or something? Just sayin', it's like us shaving out a bald spot and asking how you like it. You're probably still hot, but you could be at least one full point hotter on the classic 10 point scale with longer hair.

6 Comments:

At 18/4/06 05:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I could be wrong, but I think women get married for the wrong reasons more often than men do."

When your average man starts marrying unattractive, overweight, great-personality-women instead of their attractive, shallow counterparts- maybe then I'll agree with you.

 
At 18/4/06 05:58, Anonymous Anonymous said...

anon again.

but the rest of what you wrote I actually do agree with.

 
At 18/4/06 09:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some, albeit few, women actually look better with short hair. I say if you can pull that off, do it--maybe I'll consider marrying you.

 
At 18/4/06 18:41, Blogger RWBB said...

The number of women who look better with short hair is statiscally insignificant. And I suppose there's a grey area about what "short" means for a woman's hair. I'm just talking about the married women who cut their hair short. I think it's either a test or it's some sort of low level mid life crises. Like when I grew a ponytail in college.

 
At 18/4/06 18:50, Blogger RWBB said...

Anon, certainly there are lots of men who just marry the hottest girl they can get, but I think the percantage of men who do that is lower than the percentage of women who are happy to be that hot girl, in a loveless but opulent marriage. They think they'll convince him to love them later.

All the guys I'm close friends with are earnestly looking for a soul mate, or are married and annoyed by their wife. I'm not currently close friends with a girl since I just moved out here, but the female friends I've had in the past always bring up money when they talk about some potential guy. Secretly I think it's their most common #1 attribute (looks and money have to be 1 and 2 in some order).

I got in an argument with this one bitch (I'm not going to call her a lady) who said she looks at a guys shoes and watch before deciding whether to talk to him or not. That's an extreme case, of course.

That's not to say looking at a guy's potential earnings isn't a good idea. I don't necessarily hold it against them for doing that, I'm just bringing it up. Maybe it's worth it to get a phat settlement and be divorced and rich than to keep hunting for a soulmate. I dunno.

 
At 18/4/06 18:52, Blogger RWBB said...

I forgot one of my points.

Average men don't marry fat girls, but average women don't marry fat guys either. Unless he's... that's right, rich. If you're a fat guy, you better either have some cash or have a motorcycle or something.

So I think it's a wash there. You'll never convince me that women aren't just as shallow about looks as men are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home