Wednesday, March 15, 2006

What fun can you have in a pool anyway that you can't have in a bathtub with a garbage bag taped around your cast?

I was just treated to one of those rarest of gems: a Simpsons episode I'd never seen. And it was from season 6, before they got terrible.

I don't know what to say. I feel like celebrating. It's like waking up at noon on Saturday and realizing you have another whole day of dicking around to do. Fuck yeah.

I don't want to watch it again because I don't want to spoil it, but it was simply amazing to not anticipate any jokes. And the jokes were fresh. Remember when the writing was good and the jokes weren't just repeats of the same old gags?

It had the zaniest Itchy and Scratchy I've ever seen (but definitely not the most disturbing) plus reruns of "Classic Krusty" from 1961 where he discusses the economy with some old blowhard in black in white. Wow.

By the way, it was episode 1 from season 6, Bart of Darkness. It's the one where they get a pool, but Bart breaks his leg so he has to sit in his room all summer while Lisa becomes popular as the pool queen. While up there he supposedly witnesses Ned murdering Maude.

I may have seen it before, but it was probably only once when it was aired in 1994. I think they only repeat bad seasons or something, because I see the same episodes on TV over and over and over and they're always either from seasons 1 and 2, or from recent seasons.

Aside: Can anyone guess the most disturbing Itchy and Scratchy? I'll give you a hint, it's not the episode where the Itchy and Scratchy robots go berzerk. I'm talking strictly about the cartoon Bart and Lisa watch on the Krusty the Clown Show.

Update: [Homer sleeping on the pile of sugar mumbles in a Mexican accent] In Amer-ee-ca, first you get da shoo-gar, den you get da pow-ah, den you get da wee-men...

3 Comments:

At 15/3/06 20:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Today my guest is AFL-CIO Chairman Herb Greenfeld. Mr. Greenfeld, would you say there's a labor crisis in America today?

Well that depends on what you mean by crisis, Krusty."

"Kippers for breakfast mummy? 'TIS, replied Aunt Helga."

I'm jealous. One of the best episodes ever.

 
At 16/3/06 12:20, Blogger RWBB said...

I know. I can't believe I didn't remember that episode.

And the sugar pile is another classic.

This season also has the stone cutters *and* the Halloween one where Homer's toaster keeps sending him back in time. Good stuff.

 
At 19/3/06 20:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, that is the greatest episode, I can't believe you haven't seen it before.

"you have selected Regicide. If you know the name of the king or queen being murdered, press one"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home