Saturday, March 25, 2006

7 dead in Seattle shooting

Looks like my claims of Seattle having "no crime" (see post below) have been proven false in under 24 hours. This must be some sort of record, usually my claims are refuted by real world evidence much faster.

I'll put up a link to the story when I see one, but what happened was some guy killed 6 people and then himself. This happened 3 miles from my apartment.

The reason I so blithely claimed that Seattle has no crime is that I've seen cops giving out jaywalking tickets. The way I see it, if a cop is enforcing jaywalking, there's no crime of note on his beat.

I'm sure you're getting annoyed by all my references to Chicago, but I'm going to make another one. In Chicago, I so blatantly ran a red that I slowed down in the intersection and made eye contact with the cop, who I had just noticed was parked nearby, and gave him the "oops shrug". He just waved me by. Chicago cops have better things to worry about than my stupid ass blatantly, I mean 2-3 seconds after turning blatantly, running a red.

Of course cops enforcing jaywalking is a good thing. It means you live in a more or less crime free environment, so I'm not complaining.

UPDATE: Here's the story. An officer in the neighborhood heard the shots and came right on the scene. He ordered the gunman to drop the shotgun, but the guy killed himself instead. It's a horrible tragedy, but I think it shows that the police responded well. You can't really get any better than immediate help.

[I edited this post because my writing sucks]

2 Comments:

At 25/3/06 19:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live a few blocks away from the scene. Very, very sad. So much for that sense of safety I always had around here...

 
At 26/3/06 12:02, Blogger RWBB said...

Hey! A local reader! Uh, oh. That means I've got to stop making shit up about Seattle.

Sorry to hear you're so close to the scene. It must be more than a little alarming. But at least it wasn't random *or so they're saying).

Do you know more than what they're saying in the news?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home