Sunday, December 02, 2007

Blah

So football season is over. I'm going to have to change my homepage to something other than the college football scores. Sure there's the pros, the methadone to my NCAA smack, but it's just not the same.

Michigan ended up in The Capital One Bowl, against Florida (at least the game is on New Years Day). Ohio State got miracled into the championship game against a similarly fortuitous LSU, whose coach we didn't end up stealing. They're both deserving teams, but so are about 6 others. Don't hold your breath for a blatantly appropriate (and profit destroying) playoff system to ensue anytime soon.

Illinois is representing the Big Ten in the Rose Bowl. Illinois? Well, they did hand Ohio State its only loss, but still. Michigan is supposed to be in the Rose Bowl and everyone knows it (we have the same conference record and we did beat them at home, afterall). Just make me proud Illinois, make me proud. USC is a tough team, but also ripe for the take down by an upstart (see Stanford). Pasadena might as well be a home game for the Trojans, but Illinois beat the Buckeyes at home.


Aside from football, I've been studying chemistry. It's pretty fun. Being back on campus I mean, though I do find the chemistry fun in my own dorky way. I've been reading books about quantum mechanics for entertainment since I was 14, so alot of this is old hat (ladies, he's also a Rush fan!).


You know what else is fun? Not working. Oh yeah, that still feels good. I recently talked an engineer working for a defense contractor into quitting his job. Haha! Take that, suckers!


I splurged on the latest Simpsons game, PS2 version (did I mention that I'm still not working?). For the fan, this is seriously funny shit. One of the levels is called The Super Happy Fun Fun Game, and you ally with Mr. Sparkle to fight dirt, all the while running around as an anime Homer, eating sushi and fighting sumo wrestlers. You don't want to know about the French level, where your goal is to collect all the white flags. It's not all cultural though. Most of it is a parody of games in general (e.g. -- you collect "clichés" from the comic book guy, such as "Exploding barrels, oh real original", etc). Even though the gameplay is subpar, I highly recommend it to any Simpsons fan, if for nothing else than the original content.


I know I've been neglecting things around here, and I'll keep doing that as finals are approaching. I just wanted to stop by and say hello to the few who routinely stop by anyway (thanks). I'll come back to kill this blog off and start another, at least.



I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and I wish you the best for Xmas and New Years! (except for you, stinky. you know who you are)

6 Comments:

At 3/12/07 09:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exhibit A on why you need to become an NFL fan...the season wouldn't end for another 2 months. You even live in a city with a decent team.

 
At 3/12/07 17:30, Blogger RWBB said...

If I did that, I would have to get Tivo AND the Sunday Ticket. And neither of those makes sense without a nice big HDTV. You don't work for Best Buy, do you?

I'm actually going to get Tivo. I'll wait at least a season for the TV and Sunday Ticket. Don't worry, I'm slowly but surely coming around to the NFL. Right now what bothers me is that you can only see two games, and they're usually not what you'd pick.

 
At 3/12/07 23:05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why you need to become a seahawks fan, because you will always have to watch the local team. Or now that you are a student, find the campus dive bar that has the package, that's what I did. $1.99 breakfast special. Then you can watch AJ Feeley singlehandedly end the Eagles season by licking chode when he was supposed to be playing QB.

 
At 4/12/07 11:44, Blogger Dave said...

hey -- I have a slightly used, expanded diskdrive standard def tivo that you may like then.

Also -- there's always arena football. Not that there's a team in washington... but there is always the CFL.

or hockey. hockey's good.

 
At 4/12/07 14:28, Blogger RWBB said...

I already am a Seahawks fan, just not a crazy one. You try getting hooked on the NFL when the first two cities with a team you lived in were the Lions and then the Bears. I saw that score and figured you must be fuming.



I'm getting the newest model Tivo I can. The old ones require a phone line, something I haven't had for years.


Hockey is the shit, for sure. It's clearly the greatest of all the sports, but watch peoples' eyes glaze over when you try to convert them. I could list many reasons why it's better than all the other major sports, but I consider hockey's superiority as intrinsically obvious, so what's the point?

 
At 4/12/07 14:51, Blogger Dave said...

The reason I have the tivo is because I got an HD tivo -- if you're buying new, I'd recommend it. Or you can take the standard def Tivo off my hands, with a handy USB to ethernet adapter included so the phone line isn't necessary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home